Let’s Talk Theatre Again #8: A Glimpse into the Creation of Ronné’s Murder Mysteries!



Wayne Anthony is the creator of Ronné’s Murder Mysteries, an interactive theatre event where attendees get to participate in the story. Could this theatre style be a springboard for new ways in which we can tell our stories, Kaapstad? Read more below! 

Cultsha Kennis: How did you start Ronné’s Murder Mysteries?

WA: In 2014, I had quit my job to put myself in college and had to move to Fish Hoek. Being that I have never moved to a new house before, I thought doing a murder mystery from scratch would be fun for a housewarming party, so my friends got to see the new house (this was the first ever game that I wrote which is completely different to the game that would be played today). There were five rounds of clues for each participant and a treasure hunt. All clues were handwritten as you played the game. You got to learn who you were and you sat around a table. The first three games were set behind a table and you would play while you ate. At the time, I was only dealing with 12 people. Over the years, the games have changed to give the player a better experience – one sheet of paper, all the information provided and off you go! Each game is original and some are based on true events. As the years progress, the game is still evolving. By 2018, I was doing games with more than 30 people at a time – which is more exciting!


Cultsha Kennis: Tell us how this interactive theatre experience works.

WA: The clues are given for each character in their character sheet. It will tell you who you are, where you were on the night of the murder and what your relationship was like with the murder victim. It will also tell you about some of the characters in the game, which will then spark the conversation. Simple characterizations would start a conversation and the more questions you ask, the more the story continues and the closer you get to finding the killer. You can come up with any storyline you want as to why you think who the killer is. The killer is playing the game as well – right from the beginning! The killer can only start killing once the host says so which is normally 30 minutes into the game or if the interactions are dying down. How does the player win? Throughout the game, if you feel like you know who the killer is, you go to the host and name who you think the killer is, as your suspect. If the killer is named in the first three listed suspects, whoever named the killer first is the winner. Alternatively, if more players name the same person as the killer and they are right, the person who suspected the killer first wins. The killer wins if their name is not suspected in the top three or they are least suspected of being a murderer. The killer is playing a completely different game, though – they are trying to kill as many people as they gain. The killer can only kill those who don’t suspect them. How does the killer kill? Well, you would have to come play the game yourself!


The length of the game is depended on the amount of people playing, death toll and the pace of the game. 

Cultsha Kennis: How are theatre venues curated for this type of event? Do you usually host your murder mysteries inside a traditional theatre space?

WA: Ronné’s Murder Mysteries can be hosted anywhere. Between 2014 and 2018, we did murder mystery games in people’s homes, dramatic society venues and gardens. I was asked to host a game at the Masque Theatre, which was such a success and they asked us to do one every month in 2018. We used the foyer of the theatre and decorated it as much as we could – most days there’s always a show already in the auditorium. The Masque Theatre has been going on for 61 years in Muizenberg and it is the place where my acting career started. We are also hired to do these games by clients. We have been at the Castle of Good Hope, Big Daddy Boutique Hotel and very luxurious houses!



Cultsha Kennis: The Castle of Good Hope in Cape Town must have created the ideal atmosphere for a murder mystery, with the various dungeon rooms and hiding spaces! Tell us more about how the Castle was used for your events.     

WA: The first game that was ever played there was for the Nelson Mandela Artillery Pipes & Drums. We used one of their conference rooms at the time and it was huge success. The rooms led from one to another. I made the one room full of clues that they could find and solve (their band practices take place at the castle, so being there was not that strange but could be for someone that has never been there at night). In 2019, they were given new rooms to keep their equipment, uniforms and instruments – these rooms are bigger than the previous ones where we played our game! I have seen these rooms and it has a lot of potential for a great murder mystery. Hopefully we will get the chance to use the venue as they haven’t fully moved in yet and they are having a few things fixed up. And yes, there is a freaking dungeon and I am excited to include it!


Cultsha Kennis: You’re also a playwright and actor in Cape Town, and alumni of the Cape Academy of Dramatic Art. How has your training in drama and theatre helped you to create Ronné’s Murder Mysteries?

WA: I find that most things in my life have just fallen in my path. I started writing scripts when I was 13, and acting at 15. The schools I went to didn’t really have drama as a subject nor could I afford to do them after school when I was younger. Acting was what I wanted to do, and writing allowed me to be in another world that I could control. I wrote more when I went to high school. I was writing movie scripts and then sequels to those scripts and realised that I was more interested in what happens to those characters – that was my move to writing a TV series. Promise Valley was 13 episodes a season and ran for 7 seasons, I think. The Thin Line Between Us, which was based on the children born in the Promise Valley series, was 26 episodes a season and ran for 7 seasons as well. I am also a trained speech and drama teacher too, which helps me plan the games in the same way a teacher plans a lesson for a class. Luckily, I am not alone here – my photographer and best friend, Rosie McBrain, helps with the game as well and keeps me in check by coming up with solutions to issues. My mother, Bev, is the caterer to the games that I host.

Cultsha Kennis: Name a few other productions in Cape Town in which you’ve participated.

WA: I’ve been involved in over 25 productions at the Masque Theatre since 2008. I am currently playing Duke Orsino in William Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night. This production is halted due to pandemic. I was in Terror: Your Verdict in 2018 at the now Courtyard Theatre in Strand Street in Cape Town – the show is coming back in 2021. I played a drag queen named Camilla the Sweet in a show called Transformed. I have written many plays that have all been produced: Knocking On Heaven’s Door (2004), Four Chairs (2015) and Inertia (2019). I am currently doing videos for entertainment for Mish Mash Media Productions and Sundra Surprize Specials on Instagram, Facebook and YouTube. Before the lockdown I have decided to create my own production company called Dramaticland Productions and start producing my own work. I actually have a wonderful idea to include Ronné’s Murder Mysteries in the mix.

Cultsha Kennis: You’ve also been active in the area of theatre marketing and PR consulting for The Masque Theatre and the Cape Town Entertainment Desk. What opportunities for theatre artists are offered at each of these places?

WA: Cape Town Entertainment Desk was called Casting Cow Cape Town in the early days. As a community theatre, producers and directors struggled to cast their shows and I thought that I would create a database for them to look at. I did post-castings for shows on the platform. But I kinda left it for a few years until suddenly out of nowhere; the page was gaining likes for no apparent reason! I thought that this would be a good way to evolve the page. There weren’t a lot of places for independent shows to advertise their productions, and quickly I changed the name to Cape Town Entertainment Theatre Desk where I promoted theatre shows, wrote reviews and saw music concerts. We promote any entertainment factor in Cape Town, may it be a band playing somewhere, a show at the theatre or a music concert. This year I have launched its sister page, Joburg Entertainment Desk. You can find them on Facebook and Instagram

Cultsha Kennis: How has the coronavirus and subsequent lockdown affected your work? What lessons do you think the arts and theatre industries should take to the future in light of this?

WA: I was anxious in the first few weeks, and I have been affected every time the lockdown has extended. I am a creative and sociable person so it is very hard for me to have been at home for 6 weeks, as I am so used to being out almost every single day to work, to party or to be at a rehearsal. I struggle to concentrate on things but then again, I can be creative as hell. I have kept a vlog everyday and I kinda report on my experience of lock down on a daily basis. I also shoot videos for Covid-19: Help Us Keep Theatre Alive by Mish Mash Media Productions. Link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PX6p2XjGNY

What I have seen so far on all social media platforms is that the struggle is real, and the audience needs to realise of how important their support is to us as artists. We pour our hearts into the characters we play for their entertainment and we rely on them to keep coming back. I feel that this will bring a new attitude for actors and how they perceive themselves in the industry and society – many have 2 to 3 jobs just to maintain a living. We need to support each other when it comes to gigs and it shouldn’t matter if professionals or community theatre does the show because you really can’t tell the difference.

New strategies need to be put in place to really engage with their audiences. How do we do that? It is clear now that it is through social media and its one way to keep the audience and entertained them. They will see how keeping in contact with their audience is extremely important and assist in the finances. Gate 69 in Cape Town is doing a grand job in keeping this up with their vouchers. The Baxter Theatre with their coffee cups (a fundraising initiative) and the Masque Theatre in their Back a Buddy. Once the lockdown has lifted, I feel that the theatre will be booming more than ever as the public will probably do anything in their power to avoid their house and where else can you go to be entertained than your local theatre. I can’t wait for the Kalk Bay Theatre to reopen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Dialogue with Clive Ridgway: Creativity, Country-Rock and the CTSS!

Let’s Talk Theatre Again #6: A Dialogue with Bianca Flanders on Theatre, TV and Her New Children’s Book!

Quanita Adams Receives a Standing Ovation for At Her Feet at the Baxter Theatre this Weekend!