A Dialogue with Clive Ridgway: Creativity, Country-Rock and the CTSS!

Clive Ridgway is a South African musician and singer-songwriter of 70s-born country-rock band 'Rocking Horse'. He is also the founder and teacher at the Cape Town School of SONGWRITING, and is the author of a songwriters' guide 'Crack The Songwriting Code'. Clive is also the Program Director of one of the Mother City's newest and most well-loved radio station, Smile 90.4FM, and is a loving husband and father of 3 children, 2 boys and a girl.

Cultsha Kennis loves a good story about the coming years of accomplished musicians! Read about Clive's musical journey below.

Cultsha Kennis: Take us through your musical journey from childhood. How did you first fall in love with music?
Clive: I’ve been involved with music most of my life. I grew up in a simple household with loving parents. They allowed me and my brothers to listen to pop music, watch movies, play football, read comics and generally have an adventurous childhood. We were encouraged to dream big and believe in the possibility of making a difference in the world. I learned to play guitar with my brother Greg. We were both self-taught musicians, and we looked through chord books and listened to records. My favourite guitarists were the Blues and Rock ones like B.B. King, Albert King and Eric Clapton and singer-songwriters like Bob Dylan, James Taylor and Leonard Cohen. I loved the great blues singers and rock bands like Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Steely Dan and Grateful Dead. I also took a great deal from country artists like Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson and Johnny Cash.  

I then started playing in bands with my brothers Greg and Tony. I was playing music all the while studying my BA degree at Wits University. Being a musician meant writing and performing original material. I wrote, recorded and played music professionally with Greg and Tony in a band called 'Dr Jive & The Bluenotes' for a number of years before enrolling at UCT and completing my HDE (Higher Diploma in Education). I continued playing music through this time. I taught for a brief while at that point but went back to playing music professionally, this time with my own Country-Rock band called 'Rocking Horse'.

Cultsha Kennis: How did 'Rocking Horse' take off during that period?

Clive: We signed a recording contract with SA’s biggest independent record company 'Transistor'. We made a number of records, numerous TV appearances and played every major venue in the country. We toured extensively through the 80's and 90's and made many TV appearances. Tony and I spent some time in Nashville USA on the songwriter’s circuit. After returning to SA, we started writing songs for other artists. Our songs have been recorded by many including Jonathan Butler, Judith Sephuma, Dr Victor, Kurt Darren and Juanita Du Plessis.

Cultsha Kennis: How do you define your creative process?

Clive: I prefer to think of creativity in relation to something, rather than creativity in and of itself. As soon as you discuss ‘creativity’ the abstract noun, you move into the arena of philosophy and then it becomes elusive and difficult to discuss. The creativity I use is defined in relation to what I need to say, express or communicate. I have very few negative thoughts about the creative process as I am fanatically obsessed with figuring out the patterns, subtexts and relationships between things in life. Creativity is therefore simple experimentation. A continuous work in process with pauses along the way, as something satisfying comes together which intuitively feels right. This way, expectations are low and disappointment is avoided. And everything that crystalizes well is cause for celebration! My advice to young people is to take such an approach which means you remain a student and a craftsman who is continuously looking to improve and figure things out. It’s as much as anyone can do. Beware of those who speak with authority and certainty on these matters!

Cultsha Kennis: Tell us about your career in radio, and how Smile 90.4fm got started.
Clive: I got to know the people running the Cape Town radio stations at the SABC 'round about the time 'Rocking Horse' was touring SA. They offered me a job as music manager and this was how I was introduced to radio. I’ve been very fortunate to have spent my adult life playing music, writing songs and directing presenters at radio stations. I worked briefly for GHFM as a music compiler, and then for Kfm as program director. Three years ago I was asked to assist with the start up of Smile 90.4FM. I gave the station the name to make sure it would be a positive media brand that would make people feel empowered through the information and music broadcast. Smile is the fastest growing station in the country right now. We are big supporters of SA music.

CTSS September 2014 Graduates  

Cultsha Kennis: What does teaching mean to you?

Clive: I love learning and finding out what makes life ‘tick’. I enjoy philosophy, spiritual and inspirational thinking and writing for that reason. It influences all I do in life and teaching feels like the most natural thing as it entails sharing what I’ve learnt about life. I gained a great deal of insight into myself and the diverse people of Cape Town through teaching in Athlone, Mowbray, Claremont and Tamboerskloof. 

Cultsha Kennis: What advice do you have for aspiring musicians and songwriters who want to reach out and share their message with the world?

Clive: Be authentic. Learn as much about the art and technique of your chosen medium as possible. Try to gain skills and clarity of thought in the two key areas of your art, the 1st being the message and the 2nd the medium. It’s pointless having technique if you have nothing substantial and interesting to say. On the other hand the more articulate you are within your preferred medium the more effectively you will be able to communicate your message.


***Rocking Horse has just released a new all-original 10 track album called ‘Highway Going Nowhere’. Get your hands on this album!                                Email: clive@songwriters.co.za

CTSS students speak about their songwriting experiences with Clive! 
"Clive opened up the songwriting process for me. He simplified and made it tangible and within my reach. I was always encouraged to take the reins and focus on my strength in the songwriting process, which is lyric writing. I really appreciate how he allowed the space for me to change my lyrical vision. I started with words for a love song but needed to burrow deeper and closer to who I am for my first original recording. Clive facilitated and helped me realise this brave shift with his signature generosity, grace and enthusiasm."
- Jess Caren, songwriter of “Born”

Clive taught me that there is a method to the madness in songwriting, a certain kind of structure that is needed to get that 'killer hook'. I also learned to believe in my own abilities, to trust my instincts and to just go for it!”
-
Liryn De Jager, songwriter of 'Best You Had'




"Protege was always inspired by the work of the Ridgeway Brothers. We were very happy to be involved in the backup chorus for 'forgiveness' on the new Rocking Horse album. Working with Clive Ridgway means a lot to the band, as we learnt new techniques and different genres of music. Clive is an amazing mentor and has a wonderful vision for local talent. He is also a perfectionist who strives to deliver an outstanding product. He also loves opinions and teamwork.”
- Ebrahiem Floris, vocalist in Protege

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let’s Talk Theatre Again #6: A Dialogue with Bianca Flanders on Theatre, TV and Her New Children’s Book!

Quanita Adams Receives a Standing Ovation for At Her Feet at the Baxter Theatre this Weekend!