Let's Talk Theatre Again #2: A Theatre Dialogue with Keanan Engel!

Stellenbosch University born actor and playwright, Keanan Engel, hails from Bredarsdorp in the Western Cape and is taking the theatre world on by storm with proudly queer-themed theatre stories! Just having stepped off the stage at his latest production at Woordfees 2020 (see a review of Nancy Shiela & Gayle on our Facebook page!), Keanan gives us an insider’s perspective into his theatre making!

Cultsha Kennis: Congratulations on a successful run of Nancy Shiela & Gayle at the Toyota US Woordfees 2020! What inspired you to write this show? 

KE: I've always wondered what a play would look and feel like if it centered around queer characters who embraced and celebrated their identity and gender expression. I was really curious to witness such a freedom on stage. When I started the process of Nancy, Shiela & Gayle I drew a lot from my own experiences particularly my personal journey with identity but the trajectory of the play changed once I asked myself: "What if Gayle becomes a pivotal element to these characters, their lives, language and their attitudes towards the world they live in". That's when I knew I simply have to write this story, even if there's little to interest in such a narrative.

Cultsha Kennis: Will Nancy Shiela & Gayle come back for another run?  

KE: I hope we can have another run because it will allow me to re-visit the story with a new perspective both as a writer and an actor. We write plays for them to be seen and experienced and another run will help the entire creative team to deepen our understanding and to refine aspects that would allow audiences to really step into the world of Glo'riah, Abigail and Fabian - the three characters of Nancy, Shiela & Gayle 

Cultsha Kennis: Your production Slim Mense is scheduled to take place at Suidoosterfees 2020. How does the story of this show compare to Nancy Shiela & Gayle?    


KE: In both Nancy, Shiela & Gayle and Slim Mense I try to explore freedom and liberation as much I can. The characters in both plays are somewhat captured or chained to certain circumstances from which they desperately try to break free from. The two plays also differs in many regards but I'd say that in both plays I want the characters to experience a sense of who they truly are, can be or yearn to be. In such a quest one can allow the characters to dare and dream without fear. 

Cultsha Kennis: Tell us about your role in Die Gangsters. What was your biggest highlight in performing this show? 

KE: I portrayed somewhat of an antagonist character in Die Gangsters. My character was in direct opposition to the 6 Gangsters. Antigang, my character, draw from his religious beliefs to motivate his stance against gangsterism and the social ills that stems from it. My biggest highlight was sharing the stage with my University friends and colleagues. They inspire me and definitely working closely with June van Merch, Basil Appollis and Marthinus Basson. 

Cultsha Kennis: Tell us about your background in theatre and your Masters degree program at Stellenbosch University. What themes are you exploring in your studies and why? 


KE: I completed my honours degree at Stellenbosch University and specialized in Physical theatre. I've experienced acting, arts administration and arts marketing since graduating. I've enrolled this year for my Masters degree in Audiences Development at Stellenbosch University. I'm undertaking this study to investigate and explore the importance of attracting more audiences to particularly theatrical events. 

Cultsha Kennis: How has being from Bredasdorp shaped your voice as a storyteller? 

KE: Bredasdorp is my biggest source of inspiration. It's in my neighborhood, my schools, my family and friends from Bredasdorp that I anchor myself. I'm still in the process of exploring and finding my artistic voice but Bredasdorp and the influence, values and humor of my people will always resonate and echo in whatever I may create. 






Nancy Shiela & Gayle at Toyota US Woordfees
Photo by Jeremeo Le Cordeur at Vulture Productions

Cultsha Kennis: Tell us about the process of being both an actor and a playwright.

KE: It's thrilling and frightening at the same time. Thrilling because you are in a position to create something and frightening because there's a responsibility, a moral responsibility I'd say to be as honest, as vulnerable and conscious as you can be. It's hard, almost unnatural to go to those places, and still you simply have to go there, sometimes to all those places at the same time. 

Cultsha Kennis: How has the coronavirus outbreak and subsequent lockdown affected your work? What lessons do you think the arts and theatre industries should consider for the future in light of this?  

KE: I'm still processing everything. It's overwhelming and difficult to comprehend - so much is at stake, I mean our lives are literally at stake. I tend to look at more experienced and mature people in our industry, they are the ones who must guide us which will probably bring some relief to the uncertainty. Im of the belief that artists are the ones who can bring both the heart and the beat to such trouble times. I would encourage us not to forget that we are important, now more than ever. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Dialogue with Clive Ridgway: Creativity, Country-Rock and the CTSS!

Quanita Adams Receives a Standing Ovation for At Her Feet at the Baxter Theatre this Weekend!

Let’s Talk Theatre Again #6: A Dialogue with Bianca Flanders on Theatre, TV and Her New Children’s Book!