Let's Talk Theatre Again #4: A Journey Through Musical Theatre with Carlo Daniels!


Anyone who knows musical theatre in Cape Town will know Carlo Daniels! He is either rocking a klopse scene in a New Years themed show, or singing with the playboys on a street corner on stage – which makes perfect sense why he was cast as part of the Cavalla Kings in Kat & The Kings, right Kaapstad?! He also won an award with Suidoosterfees in 2019 for his performance in Klippies Van Die Grond (see a review of this show in our previous posts!). Cultsha Kennis was just overjoyed at the opportunity to feature this Mitchell’s Plain born performer and to relive some of our favourite moments with him through our interview!    

Cultsha Kennis: Congratulations on a successful run of Triple Axel at the Toyota US Woordfees 2020! Tell us about this character and your experience playing him on stage.  

CD: Thank you. In Triple Axel I played the role of Adham Salie who is a young gay Muslim man. He has his own small business. He is an artist who makes lamp-lights. It was quite a challenge at first. I thought it would be easier to understand a gay relationship since I do have some gay friends (I’m not gay myself) but there was so much I didn’t know. And I guess that was also part of the reason why the play had to be staged. 

Cultsha Kennis: Tell us where you're from originally and how you got into theatre and acting. Have you always wanted to be an actor?

CD: You know, I never had a day where I had to make a choice. I have been doing this forever! I was born and grew up in Mitchell’s Plain where I started singing and acting on the street corners with friends, where we made “theatre”. I obviously didn’t understand the deep meaning of the word “theatre” – but I was always living it! – until I started seeing different art forms for what they are. They are all beautiful as people are of different backgrounds and cultures. It is then when I chose theatre acting specifically and with my body as my vehicle of art. 

Cultsha Kennis: We've had lots of fun seeing you over the years in Kat & The Kings and Blood Brothers at the Fugard Theatre! What has been your biggest highlight performing in these shows?

CD: This is a tough one! I think my highlight was doing Kat & The Kings. It was a dream come true and the show was cooking. It was a “wild time” – which is the title of one of the songs in the musical. Working with David Kramer has always been very special to me. I was always frustrated that I couldn’t spend that time with Taliep Peterson but we always celebrated him and spoke of him on special days of the production.

 Cultsha Kennis: It takes special talent to pull off a one-man show like Klippies Van Die Grond that took place at Suidoosterfees 2019. How does preparing for a one-man show compare with preparing for a show where you are one of a bigger cast?

CD: It’s a complete different focus. I think or rather I have learnt over the years that each work takes different preparation – depends what you need to prepare or warm-up or get into for that particular piece. But for any theatre piece I want to give my all and be warmed-up, ready and focused for the play whether alone on stage or with big cast – the level of respect should not differ! 




Cultsha Kennis: Which character in Klippies Van Die Grond did you relate the most to and why?  

CD: I must say I really enjoy each character ‘cause they each teach me something different. If I have to choose one I resonate the most with, it is Chadwin Klip (Klippies). I was basically him at that age and so was many young coloured or black men – some make it out, some don’t. 

Cultsha Kennis: What stories do you think should be told more in South African theatre? 

CD: Thanks for asking this! I think all South African stories. I don’t wanna say gang stories or only social ill of our places because then I will be boxing theatre. There should be of everything. But it should be South African or African stories or stories that is commenting on global issues. But to perform the old European musicals makes no sense to me. We have enough stories, talent, cultures and languages. 

Cultsha Kennis: What are you working on right now? 


CD: I am working on a few things actually. Also still trying to continue working on the plays that was postponed, so after lockdown I can get into the rehearsal space – at least get the words down and be well prepared. Also just trying to keep the creative juices flowing with writing and playing guitar amongst other things. 

Cultsha Kennis: How has the coronavirus outbreak and subsequent lockdown affected your work? What lessons do you think the arts and theatre industries should consider for the future in light of this? 

CD: Yes there are so many lessons to learn from this. Especially for the theatre artists. We should start thinking how we can cover ourselves better, how to be more stable. It is a time where we have to keep pressure on government to invest in the arts and to give it the attention that it deserves. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Dialogue with Clive Ridgway: Creativity, Country-Rock and the CTSS!

Let’s Talk Theatre Again #6: A Dialogue with Bianca Flanders on Theatre, TV and Her New Children’s Book!

Quanita Adams Receives a Standing Ovation for At Her Feet at the Baxter Theatre this Weekend!